About Tours


Blankenfelde Manor welcomes the visitors from the June 1st. You can visit the Blankenfelde Manor from the June 1st until August 30th every day from 10 AM till 6 PM. For the groups exceeding 5 persons, the visit should be arranged in advance (by phone +371 27810348). We also kindly ask you to arrange in advance, if you would like to have a guided tour. You can arrange also for the tasting of delicacies of the Blankenfelde Manor!

In the stable / cart-house, renovated just this year, a unique private collection of bells is exhibited. Valdis Jākobsons has gathered approximately 1000 bells from different parts of world. We kindly ask the groups to arrange your visit in advance by phone +371 27810348!

Prices of excursions

The Manor complex:
  • Adults 3 EUR;
  • Students, retired persons 2 EUR;
  • Family (2 adults + up to 3 children) 7 EUR
The Bell museum:
  • Adults 3 EUR;
  • Students, retired persons 2 EUR;
  • Family (2 adults + up to 3 children) 7 EUR
The Manor complex + the Bell museum:
  • Adults 5 EUR;
  • Students, retired persons 3 EUR;
  • Family (2 adults + up to 3 children) 12 EUR

ARCHITECTURE AND PARK

The current building has developed in the middle of 18th century. The closed courtyard in front of the masters’ living house is encircled by the gatehouse, the stable / cart-house, stone wall from the oldest development, and three small pavilions built. The gate tower is built in the early 20th century. Instead of the old masters’ living house, the present masters’ living house was built in 1743, demonstrating modest Baroque shapes. In the middle of 19th century, an annexe was built and the roof was reconstructed. The principles of enfilade were preserved in the planning of the house, the authentic layout of the kitchen wing has survived, as well as the arched dungeons have stood the test of time without reconstruction. Many building parts and joinery articles have survived as well. The construction of the manor complex is characterized by abundance of small architectural forms, which is seldom seen in Latvia, such as the gate, small pavilions, iron forged garden gate in the rococo style, which are currently preserved in the Rundāle palace.

THE MANOR PARK

The Blankenfelde manor had a regularly shaped garden already in the 18th century. In the middle of 19th century, a scenic park was formed around a glade, embraced by exotic plantation, e. g. Russian larch, balsam fir etc., and completed by several small ponds at the sides. The park is shaped in the English classicism style. There are several parkways in the park, namely Love Avenue, Tavern Avenue and Anna’s Avenue. The most outstanding tree is an ash tree, which is more than 370 years old and has more than 4 meters in circumference, and beneath it’s roots, as the legend goes, the gold of the manor is buried. The owner of the manor, the old baron, used to have his morning coffee next to this ash tree.

PEOPLE OF NAME, CONNECTED TO THE MANOR

In the Blankenfelde masters’ house, the exiled later King Louis XVIII of France stayed twice in the period between 1804 and 1805.

Another prominent figure was one of the first Latvian engineers Ernst Johann Bienemann (1753 – 1806). He was the son of the cook of Blankenfelde manor, Hermann, and his wife Lize, both of them serfs and analphabets. Ernst Johann Bienemann studied in the «Academia Petrina» in Jelgava and in London, and he is best known for his connection to the aeronautics. On the June 26th 1785, in the presence of many inhabitants of Jelgava, E.J.Bienemann demonstrated his hot air balloon. The newspaper «Mitauische Zeitung» dedicated two issues to this event. He made also lighting-rods and conducted experiments with the electricity.

The famous Latvian counter-tenor Sergejs Jēgers lived in Blankenfelde. He was born and raised in Vilce parish. Sergejs, with his granny, lived in the annexe of the Blankenfelde masters’ house during his childhood.

HISTORY

Blankenfelde Manor is situated in Zemgale, Jelgava County, Vilce parish. Blankenfelde Manor was first mentioned March 6th 1426 when Klaus von Medem bought it from Johann von Mengele, Master of German order.

The manor has been in the possession of several masters, but in 1920 a care home was established in the building, and the land was divided between the participants of war for liberation of Latvia. In early 1990ies, for a short period of time, the manor returned to the possession of Adina von Bernevitz, granddaughter of its last owner. In 2007, the manor ended up in the hands of current landlord who gradually gives it back it’s former splendid. The stable / cart-house is already reconstructed, the beautiful manor park is being renovated, as well as other renovation work is under way, with the intention to maximally preserve the abundance of small architectural forms: the entrance gate, small pavilions, the rococo style forged garden gate etc.

Manor and park map